Friday, February 18, 2011

Critical Analysis of Info

After completing the MAPping information activity, what are your reactions to your findings? What will you do differently while searching on the Internet for information now? How confident are you with the information you've used in the past (as part of your college career and/or in your profession)?


 

I thought this activity was eye-opening. You can't just look at the URL and assume if it is www.yoursubject.com that the information will be accurate. I also thought that learning how each of the search engines list hits was very interesting. Some of them just listed the sites with the closest title to what I was searching for. Others actually gave more intuitive links. I will be sure to analyze the sites that are listed in the searches I conduct from now on! I am fairly confident in the information I have used for professional and academic purposes simply because I typically am looking at well-established sites with verifiable information. In my personal use however, I'm not so certain.


 


 

What are some implications for the future of our students if we fail to teach them these skills in school? After all, the schools may block access to sites, but students still have access at home.

We must must must teach our students critical thinking skills. Not only for what they view on the internet but what they read in magazines, hear on the radio and see on tv. The students of today are inundated with information 24/7. If they aren't able to think critically about all of this information they will be vulnerable to misinformation their entire lives.


 

Do you see any advantages for organizing your information via Delicious? What else did you find when exploring the other bookmarking applications? What are some ways you think you could use tools like these in the future?


 

I love delicious! I had seen that icon on websites before but never knew what it was. I think being able to tag your sites in order to group them is GENIUS! I am in the process of building my bookmarks in categories for work, home and school. I am excited to be linked with the other students in this class. Now if I can only get the rest of my office using this so I can access the sites they have found to be helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment