Thursday, February 10, 2011

e-Portfolios and Assessment for Learning

Which tenent did you most relate to and why?

I most related to the tenant, AFL develops learners' capacity for self-assessment so that they can become reflective and self-managing. I think this tenant really resonated with me because with portfolios students have a greater opportunity to think about what they are learning and how it applies to them. This process, I believe, deepens their understanding of the concepts being taught. Many students, myself included, when presented with a quiz or test, will memorize the information, regurgitate it for the test and then lose it almost entirely. With portfolios and assessments for learning, students use the knowledge gained in an ongoing capacity throughout the school year.


 

What potential if, if any, do you see for portfolio assessment?

I see great potential for portfolio assessment. As stated above I think portfolio assessments give amazing opportunities for students to reach a higher level of thinking and understanding of skills they are mastering. It also gives them the opportunity to discover and then show how these skills apply to them. Portfolio assessment also trains our students in how to be lifelong learners. These are skills that will be used in the workplace as well.


 

What do you think the creation and development of your portfolio will do for your learning?

I think the creation and development of my portfolio will help me maintain the skills I am learning as well as serve as an example of what I am capable of creating. It will also serve as a confidence booster for me later on when I may be less than enthusiastic about diving into a new skill.

No comments:

Post a Comment